What have been the overall benefits of achieving/renewing the IiV accreditation?
It has provided us with a sense of achievement and the knowledge that we have continued to keep a high standard shows that the best practice has become engrained in the way we work. Continuing with the IiV ensures that volunteering has become an integral part of the Museum planning and is considered in all our plans.
As we continue to look for external funding the accreditation has been a real bonus in us being able to highlight to funding bodies that we have a proven track record in supporting and delivering projects with volunteers.
It has given myself confidence in knowing that what I have been working on has sunk in with colleagues and that our volunteers still feel supported and valued.
Please provide a quote that sums up the IiV experience for your organisation
Renewing our IiV accreditation has been really positive. We were assigned the same assessor as previously which straight away made the process easier as she knew our background. Being able to renew also showed that the best practice which we had been developing has sunk in so that it was now engrained. For our volunteers they enjoyed being involved in the process and having them say how much they felt valued was a real confirmation of what we have been doing over the last 6 years.
What tips would you give to other organisations working towards Investing in Volunteers?
1. Make sure the manager is 100% behind doing this!
2. Form a workgroup that includes your volunteers so they are involved in the process
3. Talk about it as much as possible. We discussed it in every meeting, newsletter and volunteer interview we could so everyone was sure to feel included!
4. Get your documents such as policy, induction pack etc ready and ask volunteers for their feedback on these documents. It makes them familiarise themselves with it again without feeling it is just a document they are being asked to swot up on.
5. Prepare the volunteers for the interview by reassuring them that its nothing tricky and that they should just say what they think. At the end of the day if something is flagged up in the report that is why you are going through the process.